Our curriculum drives our vision forward, and is underpinned by the ethos that defines our school: Wellbeing, Community, Purposeful Learning and Inclusion.
To expand on this, we have the following aims for our curriculum. It will help our children to:
- develop lively and enquiring minds;
- communicate confidently and effectively;
- learn the essential skills of life;
- express themselves creatively and enjoy the creativity of others;
- develop personal and moral values, including respect for others;
- be prepared for the opportunities of life in a changing world;
- play an active role in and engage with their community;
- learn how to learn and to regard learning as an enjoyable and lifelong activity:
- experience vivid, real and meaningful learning with many first-hand experiences:
- appreciate the need for a healthy lifestyle;
- achieve outcomes in line with Every Child Matters;
- set personal standards of achievement and value excellence.
Our curriculum is:
- Broad so that it provides a wide range of knowledge, skills and experiences.
- Balanced so that each subject has sufficient time to contribute effectively to learning. There must be time for teachers to teach knowledge, content and skills with sufficient depth, and time for children to understand, practise and learn.
- Relevant so that learning can be linked to real experiences, both in the children’s local community and the world at large.
- Coherent so that subject areas can be linked to make the learning experience more meaningful.
- Progressive so that objectives are specific and progress year on year ensuring consistency, continuity, and rigour.
- Differentiated so that what is taught and the tasks that are set are matched to the aptitude and ability for each pupil.
- Accessible so that there is equal opportunity for all children to access all areas of the curriculum.