Bad Weather and Emergency Closure
Every winter brings the possibility of snow and ice. Extreme bad weather can cause widespread and prolonged disruption which may determine whether the school can remain open.
As a fundamental principle, every effort will be made to keep the school open even if only limited numbers of pupils and staff can attend. However we may need to close due to unavoidable circumstances. Those circumstances being that it is no longer safe for staff or pupils to be onsite or there are issues with the building such as no heating or hot water. We recognise that it is important that our school remains open so parents are able to work and pupils can continue to learn.
The Wells Free School will make every effort to prepare for extreme weather this winter.
However, if we do experience severe snow/ice resulting in hazardous conditions, we may have to take the decision to close the school. We will notify you through the following ways:
- via Parent Mail (please check your email regularly before setting off)
- a message on the home page of our website
As a general rule, if you haven't received a message, please presume the school is open. Should the school need to close during the day due to deteriorating conditions, the school will contact parents by text message.
We ask that:
- You provide a packed lunch from home in case school kitchen staff cannot get in
- Suitable warm clothing is worn – gloves, hats, scarves, wellies etc. or even a change of clothes
- If you are a working parent or feel you may have a problem with a sudden earlier pick up, please could you put a back-up plan in place with another family member or parent and inform the school. This will allow staff to leave earlier for their safety if weather dictates.
- Please do not drive your car into King Charles Square to drop your child off. We realise that it may take additional time to get into school and we would rather you arrive later but safe.
Many thanks for your support in helping us remain open during periods of severe weather.