Bad Weather and Emergency Closure
Every winter brings the possibility of snow and ice. Extreme bad weather can cause widespread and prolonged disruption. Schools are often affected.
As a fundamental principle every effort will be made to keep The Wells Free School open, even if only limited numbers of pupils can attend. However we may need to close due to ‘unavoidable’circumstances. Those circumstances being that it is no longer safe for staff or pupils to be onsite. We recognise that it is important that our school remains open so parents are able to work and pupils can continue to learn.
The Wells Free School will make every effort to prepare for severe snow/ice this winter .
However, if we do experience severe snow/ice resulting in hazardous conditions, we may have to take the decision to close the school. We will notify you in a number of ways
- via Parent Mail
- on our wesbite
- via the Kent Closures website (www.kentclosures.co.uk) Search for the school in the search box. The Kent Closures website can also be used to find out if other services in Kent are open or closed, such as nurseries, children’s centres and libraries.
- You can can also listen to KMFM, BBC Radio Kent or Heart FM to hear if the school has closed.
We ask that
- You provide a packed lunch from home in case school kitchen staff cannot be get in
- Don’t forget suitable warm clothing – gloves, hats, scarves, wellies etc. or even a change of clothes
- If you are a working parent or feel you may have a problem with a sudden earlier pick up, please could you put a back-up plan in place with another family member or parent and inform the school. This will allow staff to leave earlier for their safety if weather dictates.
- Please do not drive your car into the driveway to drop your child off. We realise that it may take additional time to get into school and we would rather you arrive later but safe.
Many thanks for your support in helping us remain open during periods of severe snow/ice.